A Life in the Day of...

"The present is a gift and I just wanna Be..."

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Tired of Being Afraid

Man, I'm tired. I'm tired of walking around this place with full armor on. I'm tired of holding up a shield in preparation for the next onslaught of racist/sexist/elitist bull shit. I don't like the person this place turns me into. I'm defensive, I'm suspicious and I'm angry. I try to wake up every morning with a smile on my face but stepping out on the cold, hard Boston asphalt everyday eventually takes it's toll.

I walk into a restaurant, a store or any other place of business and I feel like an intruder. Like I shouldn't be there. Conversations stop, voices are lowered, stares. I walk around feeling like a stranger, like a foreigner in my own country. I just don't belong here. I feel like we've overstayed our welcome ya'll. The world is big. Why should we continue to beg to be accepted in a place where we're just not wanted? My mom taught me not to remain in places where I wasn't wanted. We Ain't Wanted.

I mean, struggle is struggle wherever you go. You struggle to make money, to do well in school, to be healthy, to take care of your family, to find love and keep it... But, should we be struggling this hard just to exist? Just to go through the day without feeling like we're at war? I don't know if this is what He meant for us.

We are a resilient people. And yes, we've come a long way. But not far enough. I hate to sound defeatist but maybe it's time to move on. If "A Change Gonna Come", it needs to happen soon or I'm afriad I might lose it. And ya know? my sanity is worth a lot more to me than my loyalty to the good ole U.S. of A.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger seedofeve said…

    i'm ready when you are.

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sanity worth more than your country? Where is your patriotism? I'm calling the CIA.

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger POPS said…

    where you going now?

     
  • At 12:34 AM, Blogger Brandon said…

    Ya'll trying to pull a Garvey? A vacation is often needed, but can't replace home. It sounds like one of those days... Shit, this country is mine. God said so, slaves said so, mamma said so.

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Marly said…

    Call the CIA Milos! I ain't never skerd. I know they already got my library card flagged. haha. Chapel, I wish I could call this my home. But I really don't feel it. I feel most at home when I'm outta the country, travelling. I'd much rather be a global citizen, anyday.

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i feel you!


    Flo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home